Tuesday, April 20, 2010

76

Yesterday, Monday, it rained. Just like a light rain that would come and go, but it was overcast and lasted all day! I felt as if I was at home! I loved it! It is starting to get chilly a bit, but not too bad. I still wore a t-shirt and jeans and flip flops. I leave my room, go downstairs, and pass a friend in the hallway on my way to class that has a HUGE jacket on. I thought it a little much, but whatever, they were walking in from outside so I just thought that maybe they just put it on for their quick errand. Then I get to class.

People….they were more bundled up then we are when we go skiing! It was hilarious! Imagine, my whole class is sitting at their desks, all in jackets, long pants, hats and scarves and gloves. I walk in, in a t-shirt. I laughed out loud! Come to find out, some of the students didn’t even come to class because they said it was too cold to get out of bed. They were willing to risk their grade because they could not deal with the weather. RIDICULOUS! These African’s need a real dose of cold!

Today, I had classes and then went to the after-school program with Boost Africa. Remember how I said I have a big update on that place? Well…I’m not ready to tell it yet, so I will make you wait longer. Just remember to keep it and the people running it in prayers.

I have been debating if I should mention something here on my blog. Sometimes I am just not sure how personal I should get. But, since I think I know most of you, and I know that you are good prayer warriors, I think I will share.

A few weeks ago I went to an OB/ GYN. Ever since I was young, I have had an irregular menstrual cycle. I have never had a regular schedule of my periods and I have just gotten used to it. However, last June, I was away with some friends for a weekend and I started my period. It proceeded to last for 40 days and nights. (Almost sounds biblical!) After that I called my dr who I had there in the states and she said don’t worry about it and put me on a low dose of birth control. It worked for a while, as long as I took it, but then I forgot the pills when I went on vacation and it just got messed up again. Shortly after that is when I decided that I was going to move here to Cape Town, so I never went and refilled my prescription for the birth control. So in review, beginning of June i start my period, middle of July I stop my 40 day period, end of august I have a period. Then I don’t have one again the rest of 2009. THE DAY I LEFT THE USA…not the day before, or a week before, not when it would have been convenient, but the morning of my flight, I started my period. It lasted a full 7 days and then it was done. Great. Like it was trying to tease me. Ever since that week in January, I have not had another one the whole time I have been here. So finally, I, and Emily and my mom all decided that it was time to figure out what is going on with me. So I went in to see the dr. She did an ultra sound and found out that I have cysts all over my ovaries. Which is PCOS. Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. She has put me on a high dosage of birth control and said that I will most likely have to be on it for the rest of my fertile life. At least I should be if I ever want to have kids someday. I have talked to a few friends and they say that it can be controlled with diet and exercise sometimes so that I don’t have to take the pills, but I think it all just depends on everyone’s body. I don’t know what mine would do, and since I can’t really control the meals that are prepared here, it’s hard to get a steady intake of healthy foods. I shall just be on birth control for now I guess.

Yesterday I started my period. For the first time since January. I don’t know if I am happy or sad about it. I hate having my period.

I got a zit. And for those of you that know me and my skin, you know that I hate zits. And this month, I got two! Oh gosh. I had not had a zit or blackhead or anything since January, now…they are back. Stupid period. I have good skin and good teeth. I hate washing my face. I don’t like it to get wet. It’s just a strange feeling to me. I don’t wash it in the shower, and I don’t use wash rags. Once every three or four days, I will use a baby wipe to clean my face really quick but that is just usually when my mascara didn’t wipe off on my pillow completely the night before and I need to re-apply. So me only having one zit a month is pretty awesome. I SHOULD be having them all the time. I think i have some sort of miracle skin, cause it never feels dirty or anything. I even went to get a facial once and she said it looked good.

And my teeth. My poor teeth. I forget to brush them all the time. I usually remember in the morning, but at night…not really. And I use dental floss for scrapbooking, not for clearing my teeth of plaque of whatever the floss is used for. I hate flossing my teeth. The last time I went to the dentist, which was about a month ago, they said my teeth look great and that if I wanted to I could come in for a cleaning. (IF I WANTED TO!...lol!) So I did. I like the dentist. They told me, “your teeth look great, keep up whatever it is that you’re doing!”

Sorry, I got off track a little…

Now that I know that I have a syndrome, (like many of you always thought I did, just weren’t sure which kind) I can start researching it and finding out ways to get around it and combat it. Please keep me in your prayers as I start this journey. Thank you!

On another note…I saw a big Mac Truck today, like the kind that carries cars and stuff…and guess the name of the company. It was Weirda Cargo! HA…I laughed for so long. Cause I don’t know how you pronounce it, but I say it like “Where da car go?” I would NOT want to give my vehicle to a company that can’t keep track of its merchandise! HA HA HA. But then I found out that they pronounce the W as a V and they say it like “Verda” instead of the funny way. But now I shall laugh every time I see it.

It is only 8:15 and I am going to go to bed now. I am super tired and think that a good nights sleep will do me well. It felt like a long day.

Tomorrow, the first year class is going to have a Braai (BBQ) at one of our classmates house, so that should be fun. I will try to take some pictures and post them.

Sorry that there are not more pictures. I get in trouble if I load too many cause it uses the internet bandwidth or something silly like that. They just asked that I limit it.

And since i have already shared somer prety peronal things, i'm sure it won't be too much if i just mention that right before i started this blog post, i got into my pj's and noticed that i have been wearing my thong underware backwards all day. Not inside out, which is understandable, but BACKWARDS. No wonder i was in a strange sort of pain...i just chucked it off as cramps...stupid blonde!

1 comment:

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

You crack me up. I had similar problems but mine are fibroids in the uterus... I am counting the days until I' done with school so I can have the blasted thing removed - I don't need it anymore and the inconvenience and pain aren't worth it.

Best of luck with yours. I hope the pills help.

Raymona