Thursday, January 21, 2010

Remember the Titans!

I love that movie. I have seen is a bajillion times and have always enjoyed it. However. Today, we watched it as a class. First this thins morning. We were told tomeet in the sudent lounge at 8am. We got there and all sat and watched the movie in it's entirity (what is that word?). I have never felt so bad watching a movie before. For the first half, nobody smiled or laughed or anything except me and the swiss guy and one girl. (the only whites in the class) So that made me feel like a heel. I guess living in America where black oppression is not really a huge thing, or at least not as much as it is here, i never thought about the movie in that light. I just thought it was a good movie about blacks and whites coming together and playing football. yay. Now, today, it was more like i was ashamed to watch it with everyone and be white at the same time. I felt bad for the jokes and the way the blacks were treated in the movie. I never realied how callased i was to that sort of thing while in the states. When i have traveled i never think like that, but since it's not a big deal at home...i don't know. I don't think im being very clear on what i am trying to say, but just know we watched the movie, and it was awkward and then we talked about it aftrwards and it was no longer awkward. It was a very interesting day. We had our first "chapel" today. However, it's not like you think chapel is. It's not this mini church service or anything. They just are not sure what else to call it. Maybe something like "community hour" or i don't know..anyways, it was all the announcments for the year. What we are going to be doing and what is going to be happening with te school and FIFA and our breaks and such. (i will explain FIFA in a later post) Then we had tea time and then we had a class to go over everything that we have already gone over and then we were done for the day. I had a meeting with the FIFA project manager (again, i will explain later) today so i missed lunch but that's ok. i had some popcorn.

About 2pm i went out to the court yard near the ladies dorms and sat down with a few other students. I swear, if you could have taken a picture, we looked exactly like those college magazines or advertizments. We here all at a picnic table, 3 girls on one side, and a girl and guy on the other side with one more guy playing his guitar with one leg up on the bench. The sun was shinning just to the side of our table. It was awesome! Totally a "college moment" for me. Which i have not had many of yet.

I just have to wrap up a few things tonight with homework and then tomorrow is FRIDAY! YAY! Although i have no plans for the weekend and no car, so....there might be a lot of posts. HA!

No comments: